So, I went and did it. It has been a long time dream of mine to own one. There are mainly the below motivations, with 5-1 being strongest to weakest:
1. Almost all recent games based on anime (Date a live Twin Edition, Saekano, Mahouka etc etc) are coming out on the PSV.
2. From a technological perspective, I find the PSV to be an amazing thing. Seriously. Quad-core processor, the damn gorgeous OLED display to name a few on the hardware side. It’s a totally different experience for me, who has played some games on PSP.
3. On the software side, the more I read about how hard it is to actually know what’s beyond the bonnet or to try to take control on it, the more I feel amazed. It’s like the computer nerd in me finds some treasure.
4. It also has Persona 4 Golden and other awesome games on it, such as the Atelier series.
5. Another fact I like is it is the home of JRPGs and VN releases. And it’s totally my thing. And I’m totally fine with no AAA titles on it. It’s the indie and JRPG market that drives it forward. It’s a really unique ecosystem that I’d love to be a part of.
It was quite tough getting it here. Firstly, here only the 2000 series is available, but I wanted a 1000 series just for its OLED screen. As of now, the best deal one can get on a PSV is importing a PCHJ-10012 from Japan. 32 GB memcard AND a free game, Minna no Golf 6, which has been taking a lot of time for me in the past few days.
And a PS Plus subscription with a JP PSN account seals the deal. I got Atelier Totori free from it, and as long as I shell 5143 JPY a year (that is far cheaper for me than USD or GBP for me), I get to play it anytime I want. I should write another post for that.